Nov 8th, 2007 by RJ Menezes
Imagine a tire that lasted twice the life span of an ordinary tire. One that could go for twice the distance with no sacrifice in wear, ride, comfort, or handling whatsoever.
Well Michelin, the world’s second-largest tire manufacture, has just announced it is working on several new advances in tire-technology aimed at reducing your cars environmental impact on the road. Michelin says 20 percent of the total energy consumed by passenger vehicles and as much as 30 percent for commercial trucks comes from tire rolling resistance. For that reason, new technical efforts to further reduce tire rolling resistance by 50 percent over today’s levels are trying to be achieved. But the advances are also aiming to substantially reduce tire wear, as well as reducing braking distances significantly.
Michelin also is promoting an aggressive agenda for energy-efficiency labeling for tires much like the fuel-economy information currently provided for vehicles. They claim there can be as much as a 50 percent difference in rolling resistance from one tire to the next.
This is great news. More tire for your money can go a long way in the battle to get you where you’re going. The technology should be bound for your car soon.